West Tyrone Sinn Féin -- Building an Ireland of Equals

Mc Aleer urges rural groups to attend funding workshops

Published: 26 August, 2016

West Tyrone MLA Declan Mc Aleer has called on rural community groups to get ready to apply to the Rural Basic Services scheme by attending mandatory workshops which are taking place across the Fermanagh-Omagh district between 25th August and 7th September.

Mr Mc Aleer said "A key objective of the scheme is the development of basic services for the rural population. This could include leisure and culture, and the related infrastructure. The scheme will support capital investments in infrastructure which are line with the Council Community Plan and emerging priorities.

"In the Fermanagh-Omagh area £1.8million has been allocated to this scheme and there will be 2 tiers of grant available, small scale up to £50k and large scale from £50k to £250k. There will be a 75% intervention rate, so local groups much match fund the remaining 25%.

"There is a focus on sustainable development of existing facilities to deliver services and a clear rationale must be made for new build projects.

"However, in order to be eligible to apply to the scheme which is planned to open this winter and spring 2017, delegates from interested groups MUST attend one of the workshops. Failure to attend will rule the group out from applying when the call opens.

"This is a fantastic opportunity for rural groups who want to upgrade their community facilities and like all other funding they must be clear on what they want, demonstrate that it is needed, have match funding in place and get themselves 'shovel ready'.

"However, the entry point on the application process is attending one of these workshops and I urge community groups to take part".

Note: Workshops will be held as follows -

  • Belcoo Community Centre at 7pm on Thurs 25th August

  • Milestone Centre, Carrickmore at 7pm on Weds 31st August

  • Castle Park Leisure centre, Lisnaskea at 7pm on Thurs 1st September

  • Bawnacre Leisure centre, Irvinestown at 7pm on Mon 5th September

  • Ecclesville Centre, Fintona at 7pm on Weds 7th September